Welcome!

Welcome to my zone 9a habitat garden near Houston, Texas.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - February 2013/This week in the garden - #51

Spring has come early to my zone 9a garden. Shrubs and trees are developing fat buds that will burst into leaf any day now. Perennials that died back this winter are putting up new shoots, and around the garden, I'm seeing a few more blooms that I can share with you this month. So, let me grab my camera and we'll head out the door!

But before we head out the door, let me aim the camera at a couple of things blooming inside the house.

 This phalaenopsis orchid that lives in my guest bathroom has been in bloom for several weeks now.

And this one which I just received for Valentine's Day, gives promise of many weeks of bloom ahead.

And, lest I forget, these raggedy old Christmas poinsettias are still hanging in there even though they've lost most of their leaves. When it gets a little warmer, I'm going to plant them in a protected spot in the garden, just to see if they've survive here.

 The variegated potato vine blooms twelve months of the year - including February.

The Carolina jessamine blooms only for about a month to six weeks out of the year, but while it blooms, it fills the garden with the most heavenly scent.

This red salvia which came up as a volunteer plant in the garden last summer has bloomed all winter in its protected spot near the brick wall.

And in another part of the garden, another salvia, this cherry red autumn sage, is coming into bloom again.

The first blooms of the blueberries are beginning to open.

And so are the first creamy white blossoms of the antique rose, 'Ducher.'

The loropetalum has been in bloom for a few weeks and continues to be full of these fringy flowers.

Winter violas also are still blooming and attracting passing butterflies.

Aren't these blossoms of the 'Gulf Rose' plum tree pretty? They really do say "spring" to me.

The purple oxalis will continue to bloom as long as the temperatures stay moderate. As soon as it heats up, though, the plants will curl up and go to sleep.

The rose 'Old Blush' is well named, isn't she? Other than 'Old Blush' and 'Ducher,' which were already in bloom, all the other roses in my yard are getting a haircut this week and their blooms will be delayed.  

Yes, the purple trailing lantana is still in bloom. It hasn't stopped since its first blooms late last summer, but it, too, will soon be getting a severe pruning.

Purple pansies bloom in a pot under the red oak tree.

Nearby, a hen planter holds white pansies.

I don't have the best of luck with a lot of bulbs, but I can usually depend on the little leucojums coming back year after year and giving me their distinctive blooms.

This year, even a few daffodils are blooming for me! Maybe the Year of the Snake is my lucky year - even though I was born in the Year of the Monkey.

I hope this is proving to be a good year for you and your garden. Thank you for taking the time to visit my garden today.

And thank you to Carol of May Dreams Gardens for hosting Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day again this month.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Dorothy, most of your plants look like you're in the tropics, then i see the snowdrop, so i said oh the symbol of temperate climate. It is orchid blooming season now in the tropics, so another orchid show starts on 28 Feb. My memory card will again be full. Your orchids are as beautiful as in their natural habitat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love orchids, but they live as house plants here.

      Delete
  2. lots of lovely blooms especially the loropetalum which reminds me so much of our witch hazel blooms here in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dorothy, what a lovely collection of spring flowers, many of which I am still waiting for in my own 9a garden. The cold weather we have had for ages have slowed everything down, hopefully we will catch up soon! I have cut down all my roses and won't have any until April, in the mean time I am waiting for my camellia to start flowering.
    Loved your loropetalum, mine is just a baby still and has given me some flowers now and then since August.
    Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be late March or early April before I get other rose blooms also, but they'll be worth waiting for.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely collection of blooms!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. All your blooms look beautiful, but I am amazed at the salvia still blooming - and your lantana. I am also a bit jealous of your rose blooms! :) Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those salvias and the purple lantana seem totally oblivious to the time of year. They bloom on regardless.

      Delete
  6. I really like the variegated potato vine. Interesting how the flowers are reminiscent of tomato blossoms. Also, that antique rose 'Ducher' is lovely, I really like white to cream roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really fond of 'Ducher,' too, and, of course, the ornamental potato vine is related to tomatoes and potatoes, so no wonder their blooms look similar!

      Delete
  7. I thoroughly enjoyed looking at your blooms. You've lots going on there and miles ahead of my garden here in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am a bit farther south than you, Angie, but your spring, when it comes, will be glorious!

      Delete
  8. Wow, Dorothy, so many lovely blooms. I am quite green with envy. I can't expect roses here until June. I grew up in Houston, I must have taken it all for granted. At least I will be cool almost all summer.;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a cool summer makes me envious, Hannah. I'm sure you remember those Houston summers!

      Delete