Welcome!

Welcome to my zone 9a habitat garden near Houston, Texas.

Friday, March 2, 2012

This week in the garden - #5

One of my tasks in the garden this week was planting some newly-purchased fruit trees, including this 'Red Baron' peach. I love these blossoms.

My goodness, what a busy week I've had! And I've loved every minute of it.

I got a lot of planting in the veggie garden done this week, including putting in my tomato plants that I had started from seed. Today, on March 2, I planted sweet corn and summer squash. Even as I type that sentence, I can hardly believe it. It just feels wrong to be planting these things so early, and yet, if I don't get them in the ground and summer comes early, as it most likely will, the plants will poop out on me before they've had a chance to produce. It happened to my tomatoes and corn last year. I'm hoping for better luck this year.

Also in the veggie garden this week, the sugar snap peas are going wild. They are producing blossoms and and new pods like crazy. I love these pods in stir fries. I also love to just stand there and "graze" when I'm working in the garden. 

The arugula has bolted and the bed is a mass of these pretty white blossoms. The leaves are still good to eat though - if you have acquired a liking for their sharp and somewhat bitter taste. And I have.

 Honeybees like arugula, too. I'm not sure how or if it affects the taste of their honey.

 In another part of the garden, the 'Laura Bush' petunias have started blooming.

Salvia greggii 'Hot Lips' is blooming prettily.

As is Salvia greggii 'Cherry red.'

In the front yard, the dwarf 'Walter's viburnum' is in full bloom now.

And in the backyard, the yellow cestrum is beginning to open its blooms. It will bloom from now until first frost, without a break, if my past two years' experience with the plant is any guide. It will be a continual magnet for butterflies.

Speaking of butterflies, I saw my first migrating Monarch today. Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera on me at the time. All my butterfly weed is up but not very high yet. I think I may purchase a fully-grown plant from the nursery just to give the Monarchs something to leave their eggs on, if they are so inclined.

 I'm really enjoying my 'Ducher' rose which is full of these luscious white blooms now.

 Here's another view, for good measure. 

I hope your garden week has been as much fun as mine. A couple more weeks like this and I just might begin to get a handle on things!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, so much going on in your garden already. I won't be able to direct sow summer crops for another month. I am planting a second crop of hardy plants now which will last through May. I have Hot Lips in my garden as well and love it! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would normally be planting in the veggie garden beginning around the middle of March and through April, Karin, but this year, my instinct tells me I need to get going. Of course, I've been led astray by my instinct before.

      And a happy weekend to you, too!

      Delete
  2. Lots of things blooming in your garden this week. Things are starting to pop in my garden too. I'll be blogging about it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be checking out your blog to see what's happening in your garden, Jayne.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this post and pictures. I particularly liked the 'Red Baron' peach blossoms. Amazing color. Have you tried the peaches before? I have a white nectarine that is just amazing. Love all the fruits it gives and the blossoms are nice (although not as nice as the ones you posted). Also, it's a great producer of fruits. Got my tomato plants this morning, and they are going in their permanent location tomorrow. Other herbs and veggies get planted soon too. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried this particular peach before, Andi, but it comes highly recommended, so I have hopes. I have grown peaches before with some success. I particularly liked the 'Sam Houston.'

      I would love to have a nectarine, also, if only I can figure out where to plant it.

      Delete