Welcome!

Welcome to my zone 9a habitat garden near Houston, Texas.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

The first swallowtail

As I was weeding in the garden this morning, a movement on my left caught my peripheral vision. I turned to look and saw this:


My very first sighting of one of the swallowtail butterflies in my garden this year. In this case, it was a beautiful Tiger Swallowtail.


It was fairly cooperative, unlike the many small butterflies that I've been seeing in the yard recently. They are so "flighty" that I haven't been able to get a single usable picture of one of them. This guy though was just lazily moving around the yard and allowed me to take several candid shots.


Can you see what he's nectaring on?


It's a patch of henbit, that pernicious weed with the pretty little purple flower that I wrote about here a few days ago.


I knew there was a good reason I was in no hurry to pull those weeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment