Welcome!

Welcome to my zone 9a habitat garden near Houston, Texas.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - February 2010

For Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day in January, I had nothing. Literally, nothing. It was embarrassing.

I'm a little better off this month. I do have a few blooms and some soon-to-be blooms to share. So let's get right down to business.


Uh...yeah. I haven't completely lost my mind. I know this ornamental kale isn't a bloom, but it is sort of bloom-shaped, don't you think? And I'm stretching the definition of "bloom" just about as far as I can this month.


And if I include the purple kale, of course, I must include the white, as well.


My 'Ice Follies' daffodils have been promising me blooms for days now. I was just so sure they would be open by Bloom Day. Well, the joke's on them, because they get included anyway!


Here's another late bloomer. A really late bloomer. I purchased this amaryllis to bloom for the end of the year holiday season. Obviously, it was confused about which holiday it was supposed to show up for and it opened, finally, just in time for Valentine's Day!


I've tucked in violas anywhere I can in the yard, just because I love them so. These greet visitors at my front door.









Who could resist this sweet little face?









Or this one?



These violas snuggle up next to the 'Coral bells' heuchera in the shade garden.



The colorful snapdragons by my garage door have helped to lift my mood on some of the gloomiest of days.



The Carolina jessamine would normally be in full bloom by now, but this year it is keeping those buds closed tight just a little bit longer until it is absolutely sure that the coldest weather has passed.



In the veggie garden, some of the arugula is beginning to bolt and go to bloom and the bees are very grateful. Considering the sharp, somewhat bitter taste of arugula, you wouldn't necessarily expect the bees to go for its blossoms, but you'd be wrong. They love them!



I really like this yellow kalanchoe that blooms in my back porch planter. What a cheery color, and goodness knows, we need all the cheer we can get these days.



Back in the veggie garden again, the snow peas are still lifting their pretty little white blossoms on the trellis.


I don't know this camellia's varietal name but I love it just the same. It never fails to make me smile.



The blueberry blossoms are not quite fully opened yet, but close enough for this Bloom Day. They hold the promise of spring to come in their half-opened blossoms.



This is the bloom that I have the most of in my garden at the moment - henbit! It is a pernicious weed, but it is actually kinda pretty when it blooms. I might as well say that, because I'm never going to be able to get rid of it.

By the time next Bloom Day rolls around, we will have almost made it to the magical date of the vernal equinox. Spring, glorious spring! It can't come soon enough for me.

*~*~*~*~*


Check out the links to other Bloom Day participants at May Dreams Garden. You'll see some much more floriferous gardens than mine and I'll bet you won't see one of them that had to resort to featuring a picture of henbit!

21 comments:

  1. Even if they're not flowers it's hard not to feature the kale. The green and white is really striking. My local wild canyon also has plenty of henbit. As weedy as they are, they're pretty interesting up close. Happy bloom day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I have that last one blooming in my garden, too. Or, rather, had; I did quite a bit of weeding! Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya Dorothy,
    Not a bad collection, for February.
    Beats mine for variety.
    That Amaryllis is amazing. Such a clear white and bright stripes.
    What is blueberry blossom? The edible variety?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was frustrated at your other site because the ID thing wouldn't work. Glad to find you again. Love that amaryllis. Haven't noticed henbit blooming here -- yet. Pansies are a fav here.

    Happy Bloom Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I wish I had planted more pansies...They would brighten the garden. I love henbit and even dandelions! gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had problems with the registration too. Glad you are here. I think the flowers on your veggies are pretty. Maybe I ahould grow a veggie garden just for flowers:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to all for your comments. My website on the Houston Chronicle is hard to get to - that's why I decided to open this Blogspot site. I'm so glad you found me!

    To answer a question, yes, the blueberries are the edible "rabbiteye" variety. They are the kind that grow the best in our Southern humidity. They produce very well for me here and I love the delicate little bell-shaped blossoms, even when they are half-opened.

    ReplyDelete
  8. aloha,

    what a celebration for bloom day, i love the your cabbage colors, they are spectacular...what a nice collection you have blooming today. I enjoyed reading your beautiful post today:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you've got a lot of stuff in bloom! And yes, kale and henbit count! Those kales are quite pretty. And the amaryllis is a stunner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to comment, noel. I like the ornamental brassicas, too. They offer dependable winter color when nothing is blooming.

    I really like that amaryllis, too, patientgardener. It is called 'Papilio' and I got it from Jackson & Perkins. After it took so long to bloom, I looked up its description again. It says, "Flowers take 2 to 4 weeks longer to open than other amaryllis, but are worth the wait!" I have to agree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks a bunch, Jean. And thank goodness kale and henbit do count!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My arugula's about to bloom, too! The violas are lovely and you just couldn't draw a more dramatic valentine amaryllis.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always let my arugula go to bloom, Amy, just because the bees love it so. And I love the bees.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry for the delete, above.

    I'm with you on the kale--lovely color and form for a winter landscape.

    THANK YOU for posting the henbit. I've read about henbit, I have henbit in my yard, but I never knew what it was. And, yes, it does have lovely little blooms. Much prettier than the wild carrot which accompanies it here. Although the carrot is a host to black swallowtail butterflies...I know it's a weed and it does spread but at least it doesn't still or poison; there are worse things.

    Here in the Hill Country we're looking forward to a riot of wildflowers in the next few months. Butterflies are already gearing up for the feast.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many of our "weeds" do serve a purpose with desirable wildlife - like the wild carrot - that it is enough to give us pause before we pull anything out, Kathleen. At least, I use that as an excuse for not weeding sometimes!

    Ah, wildflower time in the Hill Country - one of the most beautiful of times in Texas. Something that I look forward to along with the butterflies, and wildflowers should be just glorious this year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have a wonderful display of blooms. They also cheer me up on this gloomy day. Thanks for the spirit lifter. Love that camilla

    ReplyDelete
  18. Camellias are just the best for perking up our winter gardens, Teresa. I never tire of them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Although i grow lots of violas but yours are spectacular. Your amaryllis is very different and beautiful. your photos are very well taken.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, Muhammad. I am especially fond of that amaryllis, too. I find it quite unusual.

    ReplyDelete