Welcome!

Welcome to my zone 9a habitat garden near Houston, Texas.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Fringe benefits

One of the best fringe benefits of being a gardener is that one gets to spend a lot of time outside and, while out there, one can also observe the wonderful world of Nature. And, of course, one of the best parts of the world of Nature for me is the part that has feathers.

Observing Nature in my yard this week has meant observing bluebirds. A pair of Eastern Bluebirds has been scoping out the yard, looking for a likely spot to raise their family. I have two bluebird boxes in my yard and, eventually, they seemed to settle on one of them.




Here is the male of the pair doing a preliminary check of the house.














The pretty little female also came to look it over and give it her stamp of approval.








They must have decided the box would meet their needs because here is the male delivering a beakful of nesting material.




Come to think of it, I'm not so sure being able to observe Nature is a "fringe" benefit. It may, in fact, be the MAIN benefit of gardening. At least, for this gardener.

No comments:

Post a Comment