Welcome!

Welcome to my zone 9a habitat garden near Houston, Texas.

Saturday, January 4, 2014

This week in the garden - #85

Finally, this week we got the "killing frost" that we had been anticipating. Our low temperatures got into the 20s F. and all the plants in the garden that can be affected by frost are now in a deep winter's sleep. It's time to begin the clean-up and time to move those sleeping plants that are poorly sited and need to be in a different location.

Plants like my 'Montrose Purple' vitex that is presently living in the shade of my red oak tree. It grows in a misshapen form because it needs more sun. It would be happier, in fact, in full sun, so, I want to move it to a new location. But it is a big shrub and I'll need help with the project. I do want to save the vitex if I can. Assuming that I am able to secure the assistance I need, I hope that I can move that unhappy plant to a spot where it will be more comfortable - maybe next week.

*~*~*~*

Earlier this week, before the freeze came, I photographed this little butterfly in my garden.

It is a Sleepy Orange Sulphur butterfly. I don't often see them in my yard, but in the autumn of 2012, when we visited Big Bend National Park, these butterflies were everywhere. I love that name - Sleepy Orange.

*~*~*~*

There's not much going on in the garden with the plants at the moment, but it is one of the most active times of the year for the avian visitors to the garden. I keep my bird feeders well stocked and they are almost always busy with backyard birds like these.

 Carolina Chickadee


 Northern Cardinal


Pine Warbler

Thank goodness we have our feathered companions and the occasional butterfly to brighten our otherwise dull gray days of winter.


4 comments:

  1. Aww, you have so many cute little friends in your garden! I can't believe you had butterflies in your garden until recently. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a few butterflies right through the year, although they tend to stay hidden on very cold days. When it warms up, they'll be out again.

      Delete
  2. Vtex roots easily. Take a few cuttings and choose the best one for where you really want it to grow. Then cut down the old one when it's growing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Jean. That certainly sounds easier than what I was planning to do.

      Delete