Welcome!

Welcome to my zone 9a habitat garden near Houston, Texas.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - January 2014

Actually, in my garden, it is Garden Bloggers' (non) Bloom Day this month. My garden is literally bloom-free at the moment except for a few pansies which I have shown you before.

Just about ten days ago, Southeast Texas got its share of the polar vortex storm that swept the country. Ours was pretty weak tea compared to what our friends up north received but it was enough to send our low temperatures down to 20-22 degrees Fahrenheit for a couple of nights and that put an end to the few blooms which I still had. The almond verbena, yellow cestrum, Turk's cap, shrimp plant, and various lantanas that had continued to bloom through the winter were all hit hard by the cold and sent into a deep sleep. They should return in the spring, but for now, they look brown and dead.

So, I've truly nothing to show you this month, but I look forward to visiting the gardens of others who do have blooms to share, especially those in the southern hemisphere who are now in the middle of their summer. And I hope that by the middle of February, some blooms and color will have returned to my own garden.

Happy Bloom Day and happy gardening! And as always, thank you to Carol of May Dreams Gardens for hosting us.

6 comments:

  1. Haha! It was a non bloom day in my garden yesterday too, other than the pansies. I didn't put up a GBBD post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time in memory that I've had absolutely nothing to show on Bloom Day. Oh, well, the garden deserves a rest.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with a non-Bloom Day post:) The polar vortex sure made an impact on lots of gardens across the country. We got hit pretty hard--I was housebound for 5 days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect a lot of us are in this boat, Rose. Just think of all the bad bugs killed by the cold weather!

      Delete
  3. I have been seeing so many garden blogs with pictures of gardens under snow and with such freezing temperatures. You have been suffering terrible weather over there. I think winters like this are so much worse for gardeners. After Christmas we can't wait for our gardens to wake up. We have been very fortunate here and our gardens are starting to get exciting with winter blooms smelling wonderful.
    Chloris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. Once those year-end holidays are past, we get very impatient to get into the garden and get things going and growing once again. I think the hardest lesson for a gardener to learn is patience.

      Delete