Welcome!

Welcome to my zone 9a habitat garden near Houston, Texas.

Thursday, January 3, 2013

No fit day for gardening

Bored with being stuck inside these last couple of days, I decided to take a turn around the garden to see how things are going. Well, it turns out most things are brown and mushy. There's not a lot of excitement to be had out there these days.

What little excitement there is is in thinking ahead to what needs to be done. A lot of cleanup. A couple of big plants need to be moved. I need to get some seeds planted under my grow lights to get ready for the spring vegetable garden. Several of the raised beds in the garden need new surrounds to replace old ones that have been damaged or rotted over twenty years' time.

Then, of course, there are the birds. The only real "chore" I'm doing in the garden these days is keeping the bird feeders topped up with seeds, and that's turning out to be a full time job since the finches have arrived. Flocks of a hundred or more come and go from the feeders throughout the day and the seed levels decline even as I watch.


Pine Siskins and American Goldfinches feed both on the feeders and on the ground underneath.

Time to make another run to my birdseed supplier, I think.

Meantime, back to my seed catalogs. On a cold, gray winter day, I'll take my excitement in an easy chair by the fireplace.


4 comments:

  1. Hey, there's more time for blogging, though less to blog about. Goldfinches are a favorite, though we don't get pine siskins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The siskins are even more pugnacious than the goldfinches. It makes for interesting times around the feeders.

      Delete
  2. Lots to be done in my garden too. I see you're making good use of the new lens you got for Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I practice whenever I get a chance, Jayne, but the conditions surely haven't been conducive to artful photography lately.

      Delete