Welcome!

Welcome to my zone 9a habitat garden near Houston, Texas.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

This week in the garden - #16

Butterflies continue to flock to my garden and to leave behind their tiny calling cards in the form of eggs. Everywhere I turn these days, it seems that there is a caterpillar munching away. This week, it was the time of the Black Swallowtails, to my eye one of the more beautiful caterpillars.

  This one and a few of his brothers had stripped all the leaves from several branches of my dill as they grew.

 Now they are nice and fat and just about ready to pupate.

Some of my host plants have been completely stripped of leaves. The butterfly weed lost most of its leaves to hungry Monarch caterpillars early on, but it is just about recovered and ready to host more of the beauties now. A heavy crop of Gulf Fritillaries has completely stripped one passionvine. I noticed just yesterday that they had discovered another vine and there were several tiny caterpillars on it. It will not last long but perhaps it will give the other vine a chance to recover.

Speaking of a need to recover, this poor little spicebush has been almost completely denuded by Spicebush Swallowtail caterpillars. It will grow more leaves in time, that is, if the butterflies will just give it a short break.

Elsewhere in the garden this week, we continue to be overrun with squash, but the plants (mercifully!) are beginning to go down. We are almost at the end of this crop and I'm giving thought to what I'm going to plant next in that bed.

We had our first corn for lunch last Sunday, but I found that I was just a little previous. The ears were not quite filled out and were not that tasty. I'm giving it a few more days before I try again. On the other hand, I've never grown 'Country Gentleman' corn before and it is possible that it just isn't particularly tasty. We'll see.

The tomatoes are just about to reach their peak. I canned my first batch this week and there will be more to come.

The beans are coming on and the potatoes are almost ready. Pammy of Thyme Square Gardens gave me an idea about preserving potatoes by freezing them! I had never even considered that but I may just give it a try when mine are dug.

I hope that you are enjoying a happy and safe Memorial Day weekend with your family and friends. Please take time to remember what the holiday really means.

Happy gardening.

12 comments:

  1. The caterpillars are making quick work on their respective host plants. I seem to have many more caterpillars this year than in previous years. I had to run out and buy more fennel because the caterpillars ate down 4 plants and I just noticed some more first instar ones on the parsley. My passionvine is growing very slowly this year so I am not sure what the Gulf Fritillaries will do. Your veggies are farther along than ours. Looking forward to some canning this year. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My garden was almost devoid of butterflies last summer because of the drought and heat, Karin, but they have returned in great numbers this year, much to my delight!

      Delete
  2. The caterpillars in your photos are beautiful, and I love to see them in my garden too. Your garden harvest sounds early and bountiful. Have a blessed Memorial Day, remembering those who protect us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spring vegetable garden has been especially bountiful this year, Terra, for which I am very grateful. There's nothing that tastes better than a fresh veggie you've grown yourself!

      Delete
  3. So wonderful to have swallowtail caterpillars! I watched the fritillaries strip my neighbor's passionvine from my kitchen window, but the follow-up butterflies have been lovely (easier when it's not your own host plant being devoured). And your summer veggie garden sounds so productive, and way ahead of mine! Tomatoes here are just starting to show color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another week or so and my tomatoes will probably be finished, Amy. They really stop producing once the temperatures are in the mid-90s consistently.

      Delete
    2. Wow, I am just setting out plants and only one has started to bloom! It will be August before I start getting ripe fruit, but it will continue until frost or early rains cause blight.

      Delete
    3. We had our first ripe tomatoes in April, so we really only have a couple of months' production before they begin to poop out. Lucky you!

      Delete
  4. I am so happy to have found your blog through Cheryl at Take Time to Smell the Flowers. I also garden for the butterflies and enjoy raising caterpillars! Lovely to meet you and your cats.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry and welcome to my blog! I'm glad you found me, too and I look forward to visiting you.

      Delete
  5. Your caterpillars are so cute. I don't have them here. My most numerous are the Cinnabar Moth cats, they exhaust all the tansy ragwort I allow to grow for them. They are cute but smaller, with yellow and black stripes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with the Cinnabar, Hannah, but I'll look them up. I have several varieties of the sphinx moth which feed on various members of the nightshade family. They seem to be favoring the angel's trumpets (brugmansias) this year.

      Delete