Welcome!

Welcome to my zone 9a habitat garden near Houston, Texas.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The great hibiscus mystery deepens

A few days ago, I told you about my perfectly normal and lovely yellow hibiscus that I purchased at Lowe's last summer...

...that, after a cold winter spent in a pot in my garage, produced this...


...as its first bloom of this season. Needless to say, I was just a tad surprised.

Since that first bloom of the year, the shrub has produced several similar blossoms. But hold onto your hats, hibiscus fans! Look what showed up on the shrub as today's blooms!



These two blooms don't look anything like either of the plant's earlier blooms. They are semi-double. Here's a closer look:



Different color, different bloom form. No, no, I promise, it is the same plant! Pinky swear and cross my heart.

The information that I read about hibiscus blooms indicated that variability of color was not uncommon and that the color could change because of many factors. But can the bloom TYPE change as well?

I admit I am totally flummoxed by this turn of events. If you have any explanations or theories or similar experiences, I'd be happy to hear of them. Meantime, I can't wait to see what tomorrow's blossoms will look like!

No comments:

Post a Comment