Welcome!

Welcome to my zone 9a habitat garden near Houston, Texas.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What a difference a year makes

What we would have given at this time last year for a day like this! A day when rain falls heavily and steadily for perhaps an hour and then continues more lightly throughout the day. In fact, we have had several days of rain recently and the forecast is for more over the next few days.

The rain has made quite a difference in the garden and in the outlook of the gardener. If we don't get a day of sunshine soon, I'll probably be wishing and hoping for it! Oh, the irony.

According to the USDA's Drought Monitor map, our area is still considered to be in abnormally dry conditions to moderate drought, but I don't think they are talking about my garden which seems to have pretty substantially recovered from the terrible drought of a year ago. It's true, though, that the long-term effects of those awful months may still have not completely worked their way through the ecosystem.

It was nice to wake this morning to the sound of rain on the roof, especially knowing that I didn't have to get out and fight traffic in it. And it is nice to have a day when I don't have to feel guilty about not getting outside and doing my garden chores. Much too wet and soggy, don't you see? Guess I'll just have a bit more tea and read some more chapters of my book. Guilt-free, thanks to the rain.  

No comments:

Post a Comment