Welcome!

Welcome to my zone 9a habitat garden near Houston, Texas.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

This week in the garden - #27

This week in the garden has been all about the hummingbirds. The hummingbird action has been frantic as both Ruby-throated Hummingbirds and Rufous Hummingbirds pass through on migration.

The garden has plenty of the blossoms that hummingbirds love (like Hamelia)  to keep them well fed, but, of course, I enjoy putting out the sugar water feeders for them as well and this week they've been hitting those feeders hard.

The male Ruby-throated Hummingbirds have been passing through for several weeks now and there were still a few around this week.

I had a female Ruby-throated Hummingbird who was in residence for the summer. I'm not sure if this is her or perhaps another migrant passing through.

Last winter, I had a couple of female Rufous Hummingbirds that spent the season with me. I'm hoping that will happen again this year. Was this little girl one of my winter visitors and will she stay or move on?

This male Rufous really, really likes that sugar water! He defends this feeder from all other hummers.

In addition to watching and photographing hummingbirds, I did actually get a little weeding and pruning and general clean-up done in the garden this week. But mostly, I just enjoyed the hummingbird Olympics.

6 comments:

  1. I just cleaned and filled our hummingbird feeder; they are little garden jewels. How fun you are on a migration route, and helping them.
    Do you have any tips on cleaning the feeders? I used bleach diluted with water, and rinsed it a hundred (almost) times. The feeders have lots of nooks and crannies that are hard to clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a tiny stiff brush that I use to get into those nooks and crannies. It's pretty effective. A 10% bleach/water solution is the recommended formula for cleaning the feeders - not only hummingbird feeders, but other bird feeders and birdbaths as well. Then, lots and lots of rinsing with clean, hot water. I use the sprayer attachment at my sink. Cleanliness is so important, because wherever large numbers of birds gather, the potential for passing along diseases increases.

      Delete
  2. Great hummingbird pics! I have some cardinal flower and honeysuckle outside the back porch but we never have the camera with us when the hummingbirds come by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They usually zip around so quickly that it is difficult to catch them with a camera. Cardinal flower and honeysuckle will certainly keep the hummers happy.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful photos Dorothy. I love watching the hummingbirds zipping around our garden, but they move so fast it's hard to get photos. I created a new bed in the spring for hummingbird favorites such as a hamelia and a Major Wheeler honeysuckle, but for some reason nothing is flourishing in the bed. Hopefully it will do better next year after some soil amendments in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that it often takes new perennials in my garden a year to settle in and get comfortable. Then they usually do well. No doubt yours will, too.

      Delete