Welcome!

Welcome to my zone 9a habitat garden near Houston, Texas.

Monday, June 14, 2010

Getting ready to get outta town!

In a couple of days, we'll be leaving town for about a week for our annual road trip to visit friends and family and the gravesites of my parents and other relatives. In getting ready for that trip, I've been extra busy in the yard, trying to get everything in optimum shape before I leave. As I reported in my last post, things were pretty much a disaster so I had my work cut out for me.

To make my plants as comfortable as possible, I've been furiously weeding, spreading mulch and watering to get them ready for my absence. Yes, watering is still necessary here. We did get about one-and-a-half inches of rain early last week, but it's long gone. Things are dry as dust again.

The tomatoes and cucumbers are coming in fast and I'm afraid a lot of them will go to waste while I'm gone. One of our daughters will be house, yard, and cat sitting, but she'll have her hands full and I don't really expect her to deal with ripe produce. At least we finished up with the corn, green beans, and squash. The plants were spent and were pulled up and tossed onto the compost pile. We're still getting blueberries, but I'm sure the mockingbirds will be happy to take care of them for us while we are gone.

This is not really a good time to be away from the garden, while the vegetables are still producing and everything, including the weeds, seems to grow at least a foot overnight. But next weekend is the time for the "decoration" at the cemetery of the church where I grew up and where my parents are buried. Flowers must be carried there and I must carry them. My own flowers and shrubs and vegetables will just have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment