Welcome!

Welcome to my zone 9a habitat garden near Houston, Texas.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

A new garden visitor

You may remember this fine fellow that I showed you a few weeks ago.


This Giant Swallowtail caterpillar was one of two that were munching their way through the leaves of my Satsuma tree. The caterpillars completed their role and then went away to pupate.

And then, yesterday, I had a new visitor to the garden.


Yes, it was a butterfly! Specifically, a Giant Swallowtail butterfly. I feel pretty confident in affirming that this was one of my Satsuma caterpillar kids all grown up. I was so proud.


The butterfly settled down to feed in the wildflower garden.

I love photographing the Giant Swallowtail because it is not as "flighty" as many butterflies. It will stay in place long enough for an inexpert photographer like me to get a clean shot.


Hmmm...something seems a bit strange about this fellow.


Obviously, his life has not been all sunshine and nectar since he left the chrysalis. Something has taken a big bite out of him. He's missing the right side of his "swallowtail" and part of his hindwing. Still, he lived to fly another day and to enjoy my wildflowers.


He may not be perfect, but he is beautiful. And he's my baby all grown up. Fly safely, little visitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment